Sunday, December 30, 2012

I Drink Your Milkshake (the D is silent)

Yesterday I saw Django Unchained.  Today I saw There Will be Blood.  Wow.  I don't really know where to go from there.  If you haven't seen them, see them.

I'll start with Django.  Seeing this was such a clusterfuck.  I was supposed to see this with a friend on Thursday (the only day I had off besides Christmas).  That didn't work because there was no one who could watch the kids at 3:30pm on that particular Thursday.  My mother was working, my in-laws were running a high school basketball tournament all day, and my usual babysitter (my friend from middle school) was napping after working crazy Walmart shifts.  We asked around and Saturday seemed to be the best alternative for our friends (the original friend got tickets from Santa so that wasn't changing).

Saturday arrives and I'm at work.  I already know I should be getting close enough to 40 hours (which I can't go over).  It's really slow and my store manager gets there around 1pm.  It gets a little busy, but nothing crazy.  I'm thinking I can get out of there around 3, 3:30 if I have to.  He says that's fine if it stays slow and shipment gets done.  We work on shipment and it stays pretty slow; however, he finds a way to stay busy and keeps me on register.  3pm passes us by, then 3:30.  The other closing associate comes in and starts working.  The last person I ring up has a gift card that I can't get to swipe so I type it in manually and it doesn't want to work.  I call the number and it says there's $10 on the card.  My manager takes it, types it in and it works.  Shit.  I love looking stupid and then get laughed at as I walk to the back to get my stuff.  Love it!  Anyway, it's four.  I speed out of there and down to the theater.  My husband is there with popcorn, drinks, and Snowcaps (yum).  Apparently, he was in line at concessions for close to 20 minutes, which worked out since I was late.  We get into the theater.  I can't see anything, not people, not seats.  My husband spots two seats two rows from what I'd consider ideal viewing position.  Trust me, this place has stadium seating.  Remember when you were in middle school or even younger and thought it was cool to sit in the front row or two?  It's not.  It's so beyond anti-cool, it's unpleasant and lame as shit.  We're five, maybe six rows from the front at the end of the row.  We come in five or ten minutes after the movie has started (or so I can assume from the preview showing the acquisition of Django, which hadn't occurred too much earlier than when we sat).  I'm in a shitty mood, my husband is in a shitty mood, and we are watching a Quentin Tarantino film.  Perfect.

Just a little explanation into my husband's mood.  The previous night we asked his mom about watching the kids.  She didn't seem too thrilled so I said that my mother could probably do it if that was better.  She said it might be.  Does that sound final?  Not to me and not to my husband so in the morning, before I left for work, I mentioned that he could check with his mom and my mom and figure things out since I wouldn't be there to do it.  Apparently he called his parents to see if they were going to be back by 3pm because he needed to leave to get to the theater on time (the house is about twenty minutes at least from town).  They said they were almost home.  When they arrived, he tells them that our daughter is napping and baby brother is playing.  They argue.  Words were exchanged.  We can't assume they'll watch the kids.  We asked.  I wasn't there, but that's the Cliff Notes version.  The kids ended up with my mother, who was actually a delight when we got back to get them.

Point is, we both went through some bullshit and acted a little poorly to get to this movie.  Good thing it's quite possibly the best of the year and maybe even the best Tarantino to date.  Brilliant writing, great score, beautiful gore, and much more mature and tasteful than I expected.  Seriously, this movie is off the chain.

As for There Will be Blood, I'm glad I saw this after seeing Lincoln.  It makes me appreciate Daniel Day-Lewis even more.  For the record, I loved Lincoln, but Day-Lewis plays an American hero (nowadays, at least).  In There Will be Blood, Day-Lewis' character is originally someone you can empathize with, but over the course of the movie, begins to disintegrate.  Although there was blood, I did feel sorry for him in the end.

PS.  We realized after Django that we never confirmed the movie time with our friends, thereby seeing it as a couple and not a group.  There was blood and vengeance, but they had none of it.  Oops....

No comments:

Post a Comment