Monday, December 24, 2012

'Twas the night before Christmas...

Today is the 24th (i.e. the day before the nightmare of Christmas is finally over).  Today started out with me going to the store I work at around seven in the morning.  Yep, we opened at eight and closed at eight.  How many customers do you think we had before ten (our usual opening time)?  Two..maybe three.  Kinda tragic.  Although I didn't expect much else honestly.  Christmas Eve is a Monday this year, that means that people had all weekend to shop (and they did).

Thankfully, I got to leave work around two.  Went home, wrapped four things before everyone in the house who was napping woke up (PS. not a creature was stirring, all were napping), went to the store to pick up extra wrapping paper and last-minute stocking stuffers, and finally stopped for coffee with  my husband in preparation for the event that is "spending time with my mother".  

-A brief side note about my mom: I love her, she has a very big heart, but also a big mouth that is big because she is loud and also plays "Telephone" with everyone's business (mostly mine).

My family is part Danish so we celebrate "Danish Christmas".  Danish Christmas means we have a big meal on Christmas Eve consisting of ribs and turnips.  There's more food than that, but I don't know how much of it is supposed to go with the Danish part and how much is because it's food that I like, such as green beans, potatoes, and (baked?) onions.  Disclaimer: the Danish family came to Canada a couple generations ago so even though we are Danish, I make no claim to know what is actually legit "Danish Christmas".  I just know what it means for us.

This year, dinner was delicious.  My kids were adorable and my mom was bearable, nice to be around.  My daughter was singing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and treated us to a repeat performance of a trick she did while we were visiting my mother-in-law's parents in Florida.  This trick is where she is standing or dancing or walking and one minute you see her, the next you don't.  It's quite impressive actually.  My father-in-law described it as looking like an SNL skit, and this second time was no exception.  Very hilarious.

Anyway, we just got home and put the kids to bed.  After the baby goes to bed, it's the five-year-old's turn. Turns out, out of the thirty books we have for her, none of them are Christmas books.  Thank god for the internet.  I found "'Twas the Night before Christmas" online with little graphics and everything.  Very nice to get to read that to her tonight.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment