Friday, August 15, 2014

I blogged! And spent some time thinking about my education and how much fun it is to claim you have a "B.S."

The topic should come as no surprise as I am typing on a blog now, but I'm pretty impressed with myself.  I've spent so much time wasting time and fiddling with technology that it's rare that I get things done.  That's not entirely true.  I get things done in big clumps.  I'll run laundry one load after another, fold while other clothes are washing and/or drying, then clean whatever room the clothes are going to.  It's a mess.  I get distracted easily by the sheer volume of things to clean.  Our house has about 2000 feet of dustable space and little less than 500 bug-infested feet of garage that I dream about "factory resetting".  Truth be told, it's so discouraging that the house rarely gets the cleaning it needs and deserves.  I can be a floor Nazi though.  Our sons drop Cheerio's all over the kitchen floor and it ends up being like a minefield of crunchy, oatey, goodness.  I hate the sensation of crushing Cheerio's under my feet.  It's even worse when I look at my sock and it's dirty from the floor.  I know that's hard to avoid with five people walking around, but it drives me nuts so I frequently vacuum floors and steam clean whenever possible.

Another example of clumping behavior is the extreme amount of time I take researching anything.  I spend weeks or months reading specs and reviews on phones, TVs, computers, even external hard drives.  I just want to make sure I'm not blowing my money on a shitty product.  Can't say the end justifies the work, but at least I'm making an informed decision.  Today I looked at degree programs at two local universities.  It's stupid, but I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to degrees.  I really want a Bachelor of Science, not Arts.  I guess it's because I feel like hiring managers see "B.A" and automatically skip over what the degree was in.  A degree in "Science" sounds so much more legit and smart, and who doesn't want to sound smart to an employer?  Or anyone you're bragging to about your degree.  Maybe the thought of saying I have a "B.S" makes me chuckle.  I don't know.  Either way, it's what I'd like to have.  I mean, I'd be happy either way with any degree since I'm nearing thirty and still haven't notched that on my belt.  No joke, my self-esteem relatively hinges on earning my bachelor's.  My problem now, and always, is what to get my degree in.  I've spent hours researching degree programs and thinking back on the classes I've taken.  I know what I want out of my career in a generalized sort of way, but damn if I don't know what it is I'd like to actually do.

No comments:

Post a Comment