Monday, August 11, 2014

Onwards and upwards

Two days ago I started a new blog about my self-imposed writing project.  The goal is to write for thirty minutes a day.  I already failed.  I didn't write yesterday.  I logged in to the blog and spent twenty minutes sampling themes.  Then True Blood came on and that was that.

Today I will successfully write for thirty minutes.  Fortunately, I now only need about twenty-five minutes more, less if I keep going on here.  Not that I'm trying to limit the writing I do.  That would kind of defeat the purpose.

In case you're wondering, the purpose is to get inspired to actually write something of value.  Don't get me wrong, I have ideas for writing projects, I just never get going.  I'm hoping the thirty minutes a day provides the momentum I need because I realize that my interest in writing isn't enough motivation.  You might be thinking, "Well, thirty minutes isn't that long".  It is with three young children running around. 

Basically my mindset is that I don't have time to set aside for writing.  Why make the time when I'm not benefiting from the writing?  But I know intellectually that while there is no monetary benefit, there is an emotional benefit to pursuing a passion of mine, especially a creative one.  I used to do oil painting.  Now with little ones, I can't leave my paintings lying around to dry for two weeks, or more.  I know I could paint with acrylics, but they just don't have the depth of oil.  I digress.  The point is that I haven't had a creative outlet for over three years (I'm including time served pregnant in addition to the years since the birth of my second child).  Now that the youngest is going to be a year old, it's high time for him to leave me alone and take naps in his own bed (although his two and a half year old brother has recently decided that he's done with napping, thereby nullifying the freedom gained from getting the baby asleep).  In any case, I'm hoping my productivity will increase one way or another.  They say practice makes perfect, so hopefully the daily thirty minutes will produce some results.  Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment