Friday, September 19, 2014

Labels are for tools...and children

Earlier this week, it was cooler so I had my daughter wear a zip-up hoodie for our walk to her school.  We were in a hurry, like usual, so we grabbed the closest one that fit; the new blue, My Little Pony, Rainbow Dash hoodie.  As I said, we were in a hurry so we snagged it and ran out the door.

A couple days ago, it was cool in the morning again so I ask my daughter to put on the MLP hoodie.  She tells me she lost it.  When?  She doesn't know.  I tell her, "You better find it.  I'm not getting you another one."  I mention the "Lost and Found" to her because I know that's where that stuff should be going.  That afternoon, when I ask if she's located the jacket, she has not.  I know my daughter well.  She probably forgot to look for it so I sent a note with her this morning addressed to her teacher, asking for assistance in recovering the hoodie.

When I pick her up today, she has her jacket in hand and proceeds to tell me, "You know, you need to put my name on it.  My first AND last name".  Um, last I checked, she's the one who lost it in the first place and now she's lecturing me on labeling it.  I mistakenly assumed she would protect it since My Little Pony is her favorite and she knows it isn't mine.  To be fair, I did forget before it left the house; however, I was very much aware that it needed to be labeled.  That's why I was so worried she wouldn't find it.  It's a nice hoodie!  I wouldn't have been surprised if a kid found it and took it home.  Thank goodness that didn't happen.  So now, the hoodie is labeled.  With a first AND last name.

No comments:

Post a Comment